10 Surprising Things that Can Destroy Your Car Insurance
One million drivers are not insured in Britain and this is partly the reason for the escalating cost of insurance. It is likely that you think drivers who drive without insurance should be punished, but did you know that you could be driving uninsured and not even realize that you were doing it? There are a variety of reasons that could indicate that, when you are in the middle, your car insurance won’t pay out. Here are ten unexpected ways you may be liable for invalidating your insurance on your vehicle.
1. You’ve changed the look of your Car Insurance
If you don’t notify your insurer when you upgrade your vehicle, you may possibly find that your insurance isn’t valid. This doesn’t only apply to the obvious things, like increasing the engine size of your vehicle. It could also apply to something as simple as installing alloy wheels.
2. Let your dog let loose in the vehicle
If you allow your dog to romp around in your car, quite obviously it could distract you from driving. If you’re involved in an accident, then your dog may be the blame and you wouldn’t get any reimbursement from your insurance.
3. You are in arrears with your installment plan
It is essential to ensure that all of your insurance instalments are kept current because If you have a single payment that is outstanding this will invalidate your car insurance, regardless of whether you’ve made the payments since that one late payment.
4. Your MOT should not be expired
You could lose your insurance if you forget to bring your vehicle to the MOT. Vehicles that do not have a valid MOT can be considered to be unroadworthy by insurance firms. This is a violation of the rules of your vehicle.
5. Using your Car Insurance for business
You must read the fine print of some policies to find out what constitutes business use and what is not. Some motor policies will not cover your use of your vehicle to get to a meeting for business. Some insurance policies don’t even cover you for your daily commute.
6. It is possible to leave keys in the Car Insurance
Are you one of those people who put the keys inside the ignition of your vehicle at times? Even if your car is left unattended for only a short time it will still be protected. You can take your keys with you in case you need to get back to your car in case you’ve misplaced something.
7. Car sharing
If you are taking people to work in your vehicle and they pay you for it, be careful to ensure that the insurance company does not consider that to be an indication that you’re running a taxi service. If you begin to earn any kind of money from car sharing you could be infringing your motor insurance.
8. Do not obey road signs
If you do not pay attention to warnings that state the road is closed or not suitable for motor vehicle use, then don’t ignore the warnings. Even when the road appears to be safe, your insurance will not be able to cover you if you cause an accident.
9. Start a new job Car Insurance
If you are promoted at work or change your job, be careful. The cost of insurance could depend on the title of your position. Different professions have different risk levels. Your insurance company should be notified if you are changing your job. They may not pay you when you need them to.
10. It is not required to divulge the driving history of a named driver
If you add an individual named as a driver on your car insurance policy, then you must disclose details about any accidents they have had before. You could be denied insurance if you fail to disclose the past background of a named driver.
These issues could invalidate your Car Insurance
- “I’m not sure of some of the details I have to give Does it matter whether it’s 100% accurate?”
- It’s crucial. Intentionally misrepresenting the information on your insurance policy could lead to the policy being cancelled, or even null and void.
- If you get a quote before you know all the details, that’s okay but ensure that all information is correct prior to setting up and pay for the insurance policy.
- “I’ve stated that my car will be kept at my mum’s address in the evening, but it’s normally outside my house and is that OK?”
- Visiting friends or family who live in different areas overnight will not affect your insurance, but the idea of parking it in one location and then keep parking it somewhere different, will.
- Think about the location where you’ll park your car for the majority of your time. Stick to that location.
Do I have to use an agent?
We can only give you quotations on elephants via comparison websites. If a broker claims to have a quote from us , then leave immediately. We don’t deal with brokers. We’d end the policy if you allowed them to establish it. A quote that is completed by someone not you can result in your policy being filled with errors.
My friend drives my car
Your friend shouldn’t drive your car unless they’re the named driver under your policy. Even if they have the driving other cars extension as part of their policy in case they are into an accident , we’ll make payments to the third party not for any damages to your vehicle.
What happens if my vehicle is damaged?
If your vehicle requires to be fixed or needs any maintenance you need to immediately take care of it now. If you drive a vehicle that isn’t roadworthy, and you get involved in an accident, it may cause your claim to be denied.
Similarly, you should always take your driving in a careful way and be aware of speed limits, and do not be reckless on the roads.
Do I need to let you know if anything occurs?
You must notify us if there are any changes to your insurance schedule so that we can rectify your information. This could include changing the classification of your vehicle or increasing your annual mileage.
Do I need to tell you if I’m in an accident that has only small injuries?
You will need to inform us of any accident that you are involved in, even when it’s just a minor accident. Elephant’s policy booklets state that if the policyholder, or any other driver named on the policy, becomes involved in an accident or suffers an injury, no matter how trivial or even if do not wish to submit a claim it is your responsibility to notify us immediately.
- It’s a mystery to me the number of miles I drive every year
- For a quote for a quote, you must submit an average annual mileage. Spend the time to estimate how far each week takes you.
- Falsely claiming a low mileage could result in an increase in your premium, which could affect your ability to claim or even make your insurance invalid.